Monthly Fire Prevention Topic
The kitchen is the main place for gathering, especially during Thanksgiving. Follow these tips to keep you safe during your Thanksgiving holiday.
1. Stay in the kitchen when you are cooking on the stovetop so you can keep an eye on the food.
2. Stay in the home when cooking the turkey and check on it frequently.
3. Keep children away from the stove. The stove is hot and kids should stay 3 feet away.
4. Make sure kids stay away from hot food and liquids. The steam or splash from vegetables, gravy, or coffee can cause serious burns.
5. Keep the floor clear so you don't trip over kids, toys, pocketbooks, or bags.
6. Keep knives out of the reach of children.
7. Be sure electric cords from an electric knife, coffee pot, plate warmer, or mixer are not dangling off the counter within easy reach of a child.
8. Keep matches and utility lighters out of the reach of children--up high in a locked cabinet.
9. Never leave children alone in a room with a lit candle.
10. Make sure you're smoke alarms are working. Test them by pushing the test button.
Please exercise caution if using a fryer to fry your turkey. Follow the link below for a short video on the danger of turkey fryers.